Sunday, September 6, 2015

REVIEW: Dead in the Desert by Lou Harper

Dead in the Desert by Lou Harper
★★★★☆

Just as good as the previous book. I like that Jon's emotional journey is ongoing, and that while Andy recognizes it's going to take time for Jon to heal, he doesn't allow himself to be treated like a doormat for the sake of not disturbing Jon's status quo. I find it very refreshing that Jon is self-aware when it comes to his own jealousy, and works to own it and overcome it rather than taking what he recognizes as irrational feelings out on Andy.

As with Dead in L.A., the mystery here is more the backdrop than it is A Plot, but that's perfectly fine with me; as far as I'm concerned the evolution of Jon and Andy's relationship is (and should be) the true A Plot — this is a romance, after all. I loved the theme of (skip spoiler) reinventing oneself, and not letting one's family determine who one is. that unfolded as the mystery was solved. It resonated in a very personal way with me.

I hope Harper plans to write more in this series, because I'd love to spend more time with Jon and Andy.

No comments:

Post a Comment